Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day




I wish I could write something profound and from the heart about what this Mother's Day means to me. Unfortunately I'm not very good at expressing that sort of thing.

I've been thinking a lot lately about Bryn's birth mother and what she may be feeling today. We don't know anything about Bryn's background but we know enough about her circumstances that we can assume her mother tried very hard to keep her. We can only imagine the heartache she must feel. We wish we could show her how happy Bryn is now -- what a beautiful little girl she is and how very much we love her. How much she's grown and flourished, even in the three short months since we first held her. I wish I could thank her mother for bringing her into this world, for giving her a good start in life. As a mother, maybe somehow she knows these things. I hope so.

One of our travel mates posted a beautiful poem on her daughter's blog. Here is part of the poem:

Without you, I would not be a mother.
Your loss and hers is my gain.
I honor you by loving her
shiny black hair, rosebud mouth,
She is made of you,
how could I not?

She is neither you or me.
She is the third way,
already crafting her own story.
You gave her life,
I give her a future.



Happy Mother's Day to all the moms I know...enjoy your day. And to my own Mom -- I love you!!

And an extra special Mother's Day wish to all of the moms in our travel group. You are an incredible group of women and I'm honored to have shared such an amazing experience with each and every one of you.

4 comments:

Shea said...

Happy first Mother's Day Rae! And many more to come.

I see the joy Bryn has added to your life, and I'm very happy for you.

That's a beautiful photo of Bryn too.

Monica said...

Gorgeous photo of Bryn! You'll have to let me know where it was taken (if you didn't take it yourself).

You said you're not good at expressing these types of things, but your sentiments came across beautifully.

I feel honoured that Claire is Bryn's Xinyu sister and that through this incredible journey, we're getting to know each other.

Anonymous said...

I notice on one of your posts you say Bryn has ticklish knees just like you.

I was wondering if she also screamed at the top of her lungs if someone grabbed the back of her ankles when she's going up stairs, just like her mother?

Happy belated Mother's Day Rae!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
She's beautiful. C sent me this link (and I finally got this page to work in English so I could post something -- no, I can't read Thai). Glad to see how wonderful things are going. Pappy looks like he's having fun.
Happy Mom's Day, even if I am late.
cheers and love,
Jim