Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Summer (and Spring) in a Nutshell



When I first started this post I thought I was pretty much caught up except for the past couple of months. Then I looked back to check when I'd last done an update (other than our reunion posts) and I see I haven't posted since Bryn's birthday in February. Sheesh.

Let's just say we've been busy. Two reunions, a few road trips, family visits, a big anniversary, the Ex, FolkFest, a Sesame Street concert, plus the usual summer stuff — and now it's almost fall. Bryn will be in preschool in a couple of weeks. Oh. My. Lord. How did that happen???

She's so excited about school. She's excited about her new backpack and about having a teacher and about taking a snack to school (though with Bryn whenever there's food involved she's excited). She isn't too keen on not being home two mornings a week, or the fact that even though she's in school she still has to go to daycare in the afternoon. And she says she's not too excited about learning new things because she already knows everything she needs to know (imagine that).

This has been the summer Bryn finally become a little braver and more adventurous. She's trying to ride her balance bike, she's mastered the swings, she's climbing on things she never used to. She'll play downstairs by herself. She stuck a bead up her nose one day just "because." She's also become a lot more independent. The other day she decided she wants to pick out her own clothes and get dressed by herself. And just a few weeks ago she said "I don't need any help with that, I'm not a baby anymore, Mom." Sniff sniff. She's grown up an awful lot since she turned four.

She's still a deep thinker and still asks some of the toughest questions: What if we're really not real and we're actually a storybook? What do you mean, Bryn? Well, maybe we're in a book and people are looking at pictures of us and reading our story. Just like when we read a book. Those people aren't real, maybe we aren't either. (Sheesh. I think I'll tell her to ask her preschool teacher the answer to that one.)

Anyway, enough rambling. Here are a few photos from the past months that will hopefully get me all caught up. Till next time anyway.


Decorating eggs for Easter.

Our first "real" tea party — with fancy schmancy hats,
a real tea set and Auntie Catherine.



Happy Mother's Day!

Fun with Emmy and Mack.

Smiles for Jacey.

Swimming with Cara.

And being silly with Bretten.

Happy Father's Day!

Super Girl to the rescue on her new balance bike.
(Holy cow, have you ever seen so much pink?!!)

This was a breakthrough -- Bryn decided she wanted to
have her photo taken and she actually posed!

Happy 50th Anniversary to Dave and Rita,
parents/in-laws/grandparents extraordinaire.

The entire Hengen family together for the first time.

Bryn with all of her Hengen cousins. Katja, Bryn,
Ramey, Matt, Nick, Anna, Michael, Brianna and Kirsten.

Hangin' with the girls.

Bryn with Ramey.

And her oldest cousin Michael.

"Mom, look! I made Saturn!"

Summer fun with Caia.

On our way to Sesame Street with Adia.

Helping pick strawberries at the u-pick ranch.

Peace, out.

I'm not quite sure what to say about this one!

We had a wonderful visit with our friends from Ontario.
Here are Emma and Kira with Adia and Bryn. Thanks for the
visit Janice and Scott, we love seeing you guys!

Even though Bryn is much braver than she used to be
she still didn't want go to on any rides at the Ex.
She did have tons of fun on the pony ride though
(so did I, trying to dodge the mud and other stuff.)

She was brave enough to do the bumper boats.

And she was so happy to meet Olivia!!

Bryn begged me to buy her this Viking hat she saw at FolkFest.
I thought since there's Norwegian blood on my side of the family
it was quite fitting. Next year we'll get hats to honor the rest
of her grandparents' heritage and complete the collection.

A walk along the river with ice cream at the end is a perfect way
to spend a summer evening.

Bryn and her best buddy who she now calls "Tinies".


3 comments:

Beth said...

All that sounds like the Bryn we know and love!! What questions!! And saturn - that's just wild. Loved all the pics but frankly my favourite is the Father's Day one where Girard is wearing the biggest and most genuine smile I've ever seen on him (sorry G, just had to comment on that) Looks good on you:) Now I'd better get on some more updates of my own!

Shea said...

What a great spring/summer summary! You've been busy!! I love the story of her Viking hat, and that will be a great yearly visit at Folkfest. Bryn must love having so many girl cousins, and it's great to see the family together.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post! She takes a beautiful picture. It is great to see her parents in pictures too!
Love you Bryn, Auntie Leigh Ann and family :)