Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Our First Christmas

It's been a busy week at our house. Our first Christmas with Bryn was everything we thought it would be. We've now started our own family Christmas traditions and will carry on some of the traditions of our childhoods. Girard made a gingerbread house, we went to look at Christmas lights, played all the classic carols, read The Night Before Christmas and put out cookies and milk for Santa.

It didn't take Bryn very long to figure out what gift opening was all about. She opened some of her gifts Christmas Eve, which is tradition in Girard's family, and after she went to bed Girard and I opened ours so we could concentrate completely on Bryn Christmas morning. By then Santa had been here and she opened the rest of her gifts, which is the way we did things when I was a kid (many, many moons ago). By Boxing Day she was looking for more! She had a great time and so did we.

We've also had a lot of family come to visit in the past week and a half (with more to come this weekend) and it's been wonderful for all of us to have them.

These photos include our first Christmas visitors, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. More to come soon!


Cousin Anna and Bryn share some pre-Christmas cuddles.


Auntie Simone gets a big thank you hug for the present.


Dad and Bryn check out our first gingerbread house.


Our first of many family Christmas photos.


Bryn plays with her first new toy.


Whad'ya mean they're not for me?!


Christmas morning, still half asleep but awake enough to notice something new under the tree.


All dressed up for her first Christmas dinner.


Having a visit with Great-Grandma.

4 comments:

Shea said...

What a great gingerbread house! Bryn seemed to enjoy it. Did she eat any gingerbread yet?

What a pretty Christmas dress Bryn was wearing. She does look half asleep in that Christmas morning photo. I love it.

Happy New Year to all of you!

Monica said...

Where do I begin?!

Okay, now when you say that Girard "made" the gingerbread house, do you mean he also decorated it? 'Cause holy cow, it's pretty! Complete with icicles and everything. A hidden talent there, huh Girard?

I love the family photo of you guys. Rae, I doubt your smile couldn't be any bigger or brighter - you radiate joy. And Bryn's Christmas dress is soooo pretty. I love it, and she looks gorgeous in it.

Thanks for a great post!

Beth said...

When AVa saw Bryn in that dress she said "ooooooo". That basketball net looks great, even I could perhaps score on that! I love the pic with your Grandma. How great she and Bryn can get to know each other, great memories there. I too was impressed with Girard's decorating ability. You two are way more crafty that I would have guessed.
Loved it all....

Kath said...

What a wonderful Christmas! Sounds like some great traditions to carry on. There is nothing like visiting family to make Christmas extra special.

Byrn looks cute as a button in her Christmas dress. And it looks like she got some excellent presents from Santa!

PS Can we order a gingerbread house from Girard next year? ;-)