Sunday, April 6, 2008

Back to Work

I knew it was coming but I didn't expect it to come so fast. I've been off for almost 15 months and tomorrow I go back to work. It really feels like the time went by in the blink of an eye. Well, maybe not quite that quickly but pretty darn close -- two blinks at the very most.

It's been a busy week. We've had Bryn to her day care for awhile each day in an attempt to get her comfortable there, and I've been spending hours and hours every day panicking about leaving her and trying not to cry at the thought of not seeing her all day. Thankfully, Bryn has fared better than I have as she seems to be doing relatively well at day care. I've been telling her I have to go to work soon but I doubt she understands what that really means. Though one day she said "Mom go to work soon. Don't cry, mom." so maybe she understands more than I know.

We've also been having tons of fun playing and reading and cuddling and singing and all the other things we do together every day -- all the things I've loved doing with her every day since she's been home and will miss so much. I've been so busy trying to soak up every minute of our last days together I haven't even thought to bring the camera out much but here are a few photos from the past week.





8 comments:

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

Oh, Rae, I don't know what to say. It's so hard leaving our girls when we've been with them every minute of every day. We waited so long for our little treasures...and so begins the next stage of independence (for mother and daughter).

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow...sending all our love your way!
xoxo

my3 kids said...

Good luck tomorrow Rae...You will be in my thoughts. It is hard on us mommies but it sounds like Bryn is doing well with it all. Hugs....Janice

Kath said...

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow too Rae. I'm glad you found a place where you know Bryn will thrive and be well cared for.

Big hugs to you all,
Kath, Pat and Maeve

Beth said...

Nothing really to say except in awhile you will all adjust and it won't be as bad as it was in your imagination. Sadly I do think it's far worse on us than it is on them - they get new faces and experiences and at this age they seem to soak that up. They are so resilient. She is wise waaay beyond her years that little smartie of yours.
It looks like you guys have way more fun at your house. Mine hasn't been let near any of those kinds of messy things - heck a lot of times she doesn't need it, she can do the same with some peanut butter or almost any meal!! I'll have to start lecturing about manners for the weekend! I hope the week goes fast - you think time has gone fast, you'll see once you're back to your other job how it completely flies! Big hugs your way.

Shea said...

I can't believe the night-before-work has arrived. It seems like yesterday that you were consoling me about going back to work! Time definitely passes quicker once you're working, but you do savor those little moments together. I hope everyone sleeps well tonight, and I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Love the Rider t-shirt!!

Anonymous said...

I can understand your feelings about going back to work. The kids usually fare better than mom, who cries on the first day of daycare when her child cries for her and then cries on that fateful day when she drops off her child and the child doesn't cry for her any more. Of course it will be Girard doing to drop off, so I'll have to get his take on the experience.

Bryn already knows that she is well loved and well cared for so she'll take all that into her daycare experience.

Take care, Simone

Monica said...

I had an error with the comment I left last night so here's another go!

Rae, did you feel your posse around you today at work?! I was thinking of you, and I know so many others were as well, that perhaps you felt a crowd? I certainly hope you could feel all of our hugs in spirit. I hope your days to come are easier on you, as well as Bryn.

By the way, that first photo of Bryn is absolutely stunning. I feel like there is a glimpse of Bryn has a teenager in that photo. Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about you lots the last couple of days...and especially today. As others have already alluded to, there is some comfort in the fact that it is way easier for the kids. Last week I had to go to Toronto for 2 sleeps (as the kids count them) and I had a lump in my throat leading up to it. The fact that Matt expressed he didn't want me to go didn't help. Of course as soon as I was gone, and they were at nana and good guy's...well, life doesn't get much better so they were well over it! I,on the other hand, wasn't. Bryn will always be able to distinguish home from the babysitter. There is no substitute for mommy and daddy.

let us know how it went!

Love,
Auntie Chele